Posted by: Brad Carroll, Press Secretary
Yesterday afternoon, Administrator Fugate spoke at an event hosted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) and Louisiana State University’s Stephenson Disaster management Institute regarding FEMA's role in disaster response.
He briefly spoke about FEMA's mission supporting Governor's and their emergency management teams, and how we need to look beyond a "government centric" approach to problem solving when it comes to disaster response and recovery (after, moderator Rick "Ozzie" Nelson called Craig’s remarks probably the shortest and most substantive in CSIS history).
Since Craig's remarks were brief, he spent most of the time fielding questions from the audience. Curious about Craig’s responses to:
- What are your priorities at FEMA?
- What are the lessons learned from the Haiti earthquake?
- How does FEMA work with DHS?
- How does FEMA work with state and locals?
- How do you transfer more emergency management power and responsibility back to state and locals in these tough economic times?
- And a few more…